Sunday, November 29, 2009

Durango, Guadalajara, y Mazatlan...

I started this blog entry on November 7th in Durango and I finally finish it today on November 30th in Puerto Vallarta. I didn’t make it down to Batopilas from Creel as construction had the rode tore up pretty badly and I didn’t really want to push my luck.

I rode from Creel to Durango in a couple of days and then cooled my jets to see the city. Durango is a nice City. It has a very nice ‘Centro’ surrounded by interesting streets and architecture. There are a lot of good restaurants and places to see. I didn’t talk to many people that could speak any English at all. My bad Spanish was a little frustrating as I could tell if a guy knew how to say it… something was happening somewhere! I only stayed for a couple nights until heading to Mazatlan across a very amazing highway over the mountains.

In Canada we seem to build the highways in the valley and have a few sections where you climb over the peaks and then back down into the valley. This highway seemed to travel the peaks and ridges of the highest mountains. Again, the scenery was spectacular and the cliffs were breathtaking. The roads were in great shape but many of the curves were so tight the semi trucks couldn't navigate them without taking the entire oncoming lane. Every blind corner had to be ridden assuming there was an oncoming truck leaving you nowhere to go. I had to be prepared to come to a complete stop or ride the shoulder if one existed. The weather was cool leaving Durango but as I came out of the mountains and into Mazatlan the temperature rose at least 10 to 15 degrees.


I booked an all-inclusive that I found online for a bargain and hung out at the Mazatlan RIU for 4 nights of indulgence and partying. The food was just ok but the room, the pool, the gym, and the beach were perfect. The hotel was populated almost 50/50 with Canadians and Mexicans. All the craziest people in the pool were from Winnipeg and we defiantly had a few drinks between us. Ummm…. I don’t mean body shots… honest! I hung around the pool and the beach most of the time and only made one excursion to town to see a live band on the malecon in old Mazatlan. It was fun, and I got to practice my Espaniol but it was a pretty early night.

From Mazatlan I rode to San Blas for a couple of nights and then to Sayulita just north of Puerto Vallarta. I can see why all my Aunties have been coming here for the past few years! It’s a very cool little ‘puebla del mar’ with good restaurants, surf, sun, and bikinis. Well… maybe my aunties would have noticed the surfer dudes more than the bikinis, but they were all there. Yes, Auntie Betty, It has become very clear to me now! It was bit of a reconnaissance trip as I had to head to Guadalajara for Spanish lessions beginning the next day so I only stayed the one night. I couldn’t believe it… 9 friendly girls from California staying in a gorgeous 9 bedroom villa and I had to leave the next day! Half of them were even my age… or at least within 13 years. I am sure to return in the next few weeks as it is a really is a cool place to hang out.

In Guadalajara I was booked for a 1 week Spanish course but I ended up extending it for an extra week. The course was quite intense but I know it is going to be very helpful with a little time and practice. I stayed with an older couple for a very economical $100/week, including 2 meals per day. Miguel and his wife Graciela are really nice people and staying with them gave me great opportunities to practice my Spanish. They live in an apartment within a great neighborhood. I would take my homework on my walks every night and find a nice spot to work. Some nights it was in a park, and others a patio lounge, or a local taco stand. Sometimes I would spend more time helping others speak English then I did practicing my Spanish but it was always good fun either way. The only down side to the apartment was that I had to find a storage site in the center of town for the bike. With that I didn’t have convenient access to the bike on a daily basis and had to take the bus to school. I had a couple of late nights clubbing with Sjoerd 'el holandes' but we managed to stay out of real trouble. Between that, and lunching, and getting to know Dave (USA), the Austrian girls (so cute, and good with the Spanish to boot!), Dillon (Australia) and his girlfriend (Guadalajara), and others from the school; I did manage to see a lot of the historical sites in the city. I could easily go back for another visit!


This past weekend I rode with the ‘Gladeadores’ to Puerto Vallarta for the weekend. I’ll try to get to that story tomorrow!

I will probably hang out here for a couple of days before I return to La Paz via Sayulita and Mazatlan to pick up the van. I am really torn up about leaving the bike. It creates so much flexibility when getting around and it creates a lot of interest from locals, other travelers, and tourists alike. But then again, I am really looking forward to camping with a cooler, an awning, and a BBQ!

7 comments:

  1. haha oh uncle brian you should have learned spanish from david before you left!! haha. hes still slowly trying to teach me!! well it looks like your really enjoying yourself! that picture of the hotel and beach is absolutely GORGEOUS! im very jealous! you have to give me the details of it because i would love to go there for a couple of weeks!! im really glad to hear that your still doing okay though, im praying for you everyday and thinking of you everyday! your so brave for doing this all on your own, but know that your not alone, God is always there by your side, and thankfully is watching over you.
    well since you havent talked to much of us up here, ill fill you in on the crazyness of things! it was my birthday not to long ago and i went to the flames game with david, unfortunatly we lost..but thats okay! i got hammered! haha i know i probably shouldn't have, but it was by birthday what the hell. haha. i did get sick after though, and have to pull over..haha that wasnt fun. my parents dont even know about that! oh well. after that for about a week, we had decent weather, plus 10 plus 15, nothing as great as what you are experencing! just last friday, it had snowed so bad i had to go rescue my boyfriend cause he got stuck on 16th going west towards banff, he just bought a new car, infinity G35 rear wheel drive, and he asked me to drive him to work..no joke, 2 and a half hours to get from 16th to shaganappi trail. HORRIBLE! accidents happening everywhere, behind me, in front of me, almost me!! haha its not good. my dad and i are struggling to try and get me winter tires, but everyone seems to be shutting us down. im really worried. but im sure ill fine a way. Auntie Angela and Uncle Tim just got back from their trip from Hawaii, and myself, dad, mom, natasha, mitchell, tim and ang watch the greg cup with saskatchewan and montreal. i almost won $50 with the squares but then in the last 2 seconds of the second quater the score changed. darn! so unfortunatly no one in our family won, my dad is starting to get pissed off that he hasn't won yet! haha i feel bad.
    well i just set up the Christmas tree, i bought my own 4 ft tree with christmas lights and decorations, and christmas presents are all done, so im pumped!! im ready for christmas!! its going to be so weird without you there..we are going to have to do a little surprise for you!
    well other then what i just babbled on theres not a whole lot going on, just living on my own with my roommate haeley and her two kitties. i am trying to look for a new job so i can get a second income with the bills and what not. thinking of maybe going to joeys tomatos.. its a nice resturant. i read your other blog about how you saw an Applebess! thats wicked, that made me happy to know that you were thinking of me! haha maybe i should transfer to down there! better then cowtown!
    angela and tim are back at home for what seems like the first time in a year, their always gone somewhere..

    ReplyDelete
  2. mitchell is finally growing some armpit hair and oh God you should hear how he talks now! our little mitchell the pistol is growing up!
    natasha is from what i hear doing every well with her school, she is absoutely dedicated. only downer is the mike is out of jail, and their communicating again..not to stoked about that..
    my mom and dad are doing good as well, mom is still working on her garden, she removed a tree not to long ago, and personally i think it looks great. but you know dad, doesnt like change! haha. my dad is thinking about buying a new truck as well. his little ford ranger is finally calling the quits on him.
    well thats just some of the things that have been going on. im sure if i ramble on anymore you'll probably start falling asleep!
    keep on writing, keep in touch.
    if you want so we can talk in private without everyone having to read my messages, just text me and ask me for my e-mail address.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well i miss you so much and everyone up here does tooo! we printed your blog off for everyone who doesnt have a computer to read and check out how yor doing, but by the looks of it, your having an amazing time! really happy for you.
    i like the quote that you have on your blog.
    your totally living the dream.
    i love you uncle brian! keep it up!
    TE AMO MUCHO!
    CHAO CUCHO!! haha

    -Kayleigh Raee <3 <---- Sideways heart if you didnt get that haha.


    Sorry that its in 3 comment boxes. i had too many characters and wouldn't let me fit it all in.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello friend brian, how are you? I´m fine, I am the catgirl of gladeadores of guadalajara jalisco.
    I would like to have contact with you, you are very pleasant and very amiable, my email is gata_salvaje_31@msn.com

    I have to go, see you latter....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brian! My clubbingmate for sure! Missed u the last week man, well and actually, you missed something.. found an amazing spot called "old jacks": live music (U2, michael jackson, nice stuff..) a 'garden' area, with 1liter paper beer mugs and a whole lot of pretty fine looking mujeres ;-) ABOVE 20-something this time. Cool to read you story, I'm back in PozaRica right now, probably the ugliest city of Mexico, so I keep following your trip to see how nice Mexico can be ;-)
    Take care mate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your neighbors from Edmonton(the Klemens) are very envious of the warm weather and your laid back lifestyle, Brian. I was very impressed that you took a Spanish course, however. We are freezing here and Candy Cane Lane is frenetic. Horse-drawn sleighs, noisy people, buses, slamming car doors--crazy times. New neighbors(in your house) like Christmas---a red helicopter with Santa, etc. Stay warm Brian, Merry Christmas! Pam, Vince, Danielle, Dylan

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Brian!!
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
    We are looking forward to your next blog and are impressed about the Spanish classes.
    From your friends on a holiday too!
    karen and pernell

    ReplyDelete